Saturday, September 15, 2012

No Spin Zone



Calls from dawn to dusk, from phone numbers I don’t recognize.  Commercials telling me how much better things are, or how much worse they’ve become.  Radio blaring outraged voices that invite me to be outraged right along with them.  Pamphlets.  Yard signs.  Posters.  Spam email.

 

 
 
 
 
Must be political season. Urg.

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
Don't get me wrong.  I'm grateful I live in such a free and democratic society.  I cherish the freedoms we enjoy in the US.  What's more, I encourage everyone to vote this November and take part in this beautiful, democratic system.
 
But I refuse to hammer anyone over the head with my political ideaology.
 
I’d like to make a campaign promise right here, right now, and it is this: beyond this single blog post, I will never post anything of a political nature.  Not a picture.  Not a meme.  Not even a Meow Mix-worthy comment on what the candidates’ wives are wearing.  Why?  It’s simple.  While I’m an American who thankfully has every right to discuss what I feel about our political process--and I'll fight for your right to say and think whatever you want as well--I’m the kind of gal who is a staunch believer in the cocktail-conversation Golden Rule:

 

Never discuss religion or politics in
public.

 

Instead, I’d like to share with you the dance that I’ve almost mastered:  Gangnam-style! (Thanks to Angela James and Reesa Herberth for getting this started on Twitter :P )


 
 
If only everyone would dedicate themselves to enjoying life rather than wanting to prove how right their side is and how wrong the "others" are, the world would be a better place.  Enjoy! J

2 comments:

  1. Yeah but, no but, yeah but, no but... Oh you KNOW I can get sucked into politics. I try to be respectful, but confess to still believing deep down that most people would agree with me if they just understood better... I know. Delusional.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are SO MANY things I want to talk about come election time (you know my family as well as I do, because you're PART of it :D). And considering our family is VERY strong-minded about politics, my head threatens to explode when something truly heinous/egregious comes along. BUT!...since I'm feeling the need to escape all the ugliness, I figured others might be in the same boat. That's why I've decided I'm going to be a calm oasis in world of screaming meemies. (Though I've been tempted to trot out my alter-ego over the past 24 hours. *winkwinkknowwhatImeannudgenudge*)

    ReplyDelete